Thursday, May 07, 2009

Humour

Have you noticed that nearly everybody you meet tries to be funny?

Our society places a very high premium on humour. Those 'lonely heart' adverts nearly always specify that the WLTM must have a sense of humour. Even job advertisments often specify that candidates must have an sense of humour.

While humour is a pleasent trait, I worry about the pressure on people to be funny so often. It cannot be easy for people who do not have a strong natural sense of humour. The pressure to be funny often means that people come up with stupid remarks and coarse jokes all the time, even when they are not really funny.

7 comments:

UKSteve said...

I feel strangely compelled to post some kind of amusing comment in reply now...

Celestial Fundie said...

Why not.

Colin Maxwell said...

UK Steve: So did I.

Do you think Matthew is playing mind games with us? You know ... working for Gordon Brown's Nu Labour Government and all that?

Rose: Are you feeling humorous today?

Regards,

Celestial Fundie said...

Rose? She aint here.

Colin, I don't actually work for the government. I work for a charity that receives state funding. A QUANGO, if you insist.

Rose~ said...

Who says I aint here? heehee

no I am not feeling particularly humorous, but serious.

Matthew, your observations are very interesting. I think the best expression of what employers are looking for when they say they want a candidate with a good sense of humor is that they want someone who isn't so intense about "taking themselves so seriously." IOW - people who are able to laugh at themselves are easier to know, work with and be with.

Colin Maxwell said...

I knew you would pass by, sooner or later, Rose. Maybe I am a prophet?

Move over Benny Hinn...

Regards,

David Wyatt said...

"Move over Benny Hinn..."

Yes, bro. Colin, WAAAAAAAAAAAAY over!