Friday, October 31, 2008

The Worship of Mammon, by Evelyn De Morgan



I think this picture by Evelyn De Morgan (you can tell I love her stuff) very well captures the biblical reality that the love of money is the root of all evil (1 Tim 6:10).

The most striking thing about this picture is that the head and face of the idol is obscured. The love of money dehumanizes us. It dehumanizes the one who harbours it, because it forces her to suppress her desires, passions and human feelings. It dehumanizes others because they become the victims of injustice and greed.

Many of the women portrayed in De Morgan's pictures are young and beatiful, but this woman looks rather aged. The love of money puts years on us. It causes us to look away from heaven and at fleeting earthly realities. Hence, when we love money, we invariably end up worrying where it comes from and how long it will last. Yet all we can gain from such worries are more grey hairs.

Interestingly, I have seen this picture used on a website devoted to the subject of the Nephilim (not really what the picture is about). Money has a spiritual dimension. We read in Ezekiel 28 that Satan fell because of his pride in possesion of precious stones. His heart was lifeted up because of his celestial wealth. That passage tells us of how he corrupted the earth through commerce and merchandising though this may mean spiritual rather than earthly trafficking).

Commerce is part of a system that is used by the fallen angelic powers to control man. When we see human corruption and false political and economic systems, we do not see merely the designs of man, but a cosmic system under the control of celestial principalities and powers.

2 comments:

nissa said...

Hi there.
In answer to the title of your blog 'This is a Cult. Want to Join?' Yes.

Your blog is majorly cool and even though I was hesitating on whether or not to add your blogs to the ones I follow on the Blogger followers thingy, your McCain link convinced me.

As for the removing the shoes thing, be grateful I'm wearing my clean go-to-town shoes and not my barn covered-in-manure shoes...

Celestial Fundie said...

Nissa, thanks so much for visiting and for your interest.

"As for the removing the shoes thing, be grateful I'm wearing my clean go-to-town shoes and not my barn covered-in-manure shoes..."

I don't care what shoes you are wearing, as long as you take them off.