Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I'm not part of the Christian Right- I'm on the Centre-Right (really, honestly)

I happen to be of the opinion that Evangelicals in the USA are just a little too closely identified with the Republican Right. I think there is room for Evangelicalism on all sides of the political spectrum.

Nevertheless despite my liberal-left tendencies, the American presidential race and the choice of Sarah Palin for the vice-presidency is bringing out the Christian Right-winger in me. I was born to be right-wing. Its a tribal thing. For all that I favour big government spending on public and social services I could never vote Labour and I could never vote Democrat if I was an American.

Go McCain! Go Sarah! Don't let that weird Obama guy move into the White House!

3 comments:

Earl said...

Matthew,

I agree with you that Evangelicals in the USA are just a little too closely identified with the Republican Right.

There is something that really tugs my heart with the choice of Sarah Palin.

Celestial Fundie said...

Earl, are political opinions varied at your church?

Earl said...

Yes, political opinions are quite varied. We have people joining the church who never went to church until recently, and came to Christ at our church. We also have some interested non-Christian non-member regular attenders.

Our demographics are very interesting. We're situated in Newt Gingrich's (former Republican Speaker of the House), traditionally very conservative -- but there is a lot of people moving into the area from outside the region. The zip-code demographics indicate we are a wealthy region, but you have Gen X and Y coming in with differing views -- along with a strong shift in the ethnic population. Very international background.