Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Fall of Lucifer, by Wendy Alec

Oh man, I just read a book by Wendy Alec the co-founder of God TV (which features Benny Hinn and other Charismatic horrors). I actually did not put two and two together when I started the book. Then when I read the author bio on the back after I had finished it, something clicked in my mind and I realised who Wendy Alec is.

Anyway, this is the first Christian fiction I have read since those dreadful Left Behind books. I really wanted to read this, seeing as I am obsessed with the subject of angels.

This is the first in the series 'Chronicles of Brothers'. The premise is that the angels Lucifer, Michael and Gabriel are brothers. Lucifer is the moody one, Michael is tough, square-jawed, but not that smart and Gabriel is a rather sensitive artistic type.

Lucifer is basically a Goth type with long black hair and a pet black panther. If you had never heard of Lucifer in your life and read the book, you would know he was going to turn bad from the first page. He would so appeal to 16-year old Goth girls, who are probably the demographic group that would enjoy this book most.

The book mainans that the fall of Satan ocurred after the creation week and takes the Muslim view that Satan was jealous of man.

I like the fact that heaven and angels are described in physical terms. The angels have DNA and silicone-based bodies. However, this is compromised by the confusing claim that only humans and inhabitants of our world are made of 'matter'. Does she mean 'organic matter'?

I disagree with the author's assumption that angels are not made in the image and likeness of God. She seems to connect this to mankind's ability to reproduce, which is a very odd notion.

Older children and teenagers might benefit from reading this book, as long as parents are willing to talk about some of the ideas in it.

Just one last thing, the fact that Wendy Alec gives the three wise men their apocryphal names Melchior, Gaspar and Balthazar made me smile.

9 comments:

Bud Press said...

Hello:

And this is the same Wendy Alec who false prophesied the physical appearance of Jesus Christ during the Florida Outpouring (refer to
http://www.christianresearchservice.com/WendyAlec1.htm ).

In Christ,
Bud Press

Celestial Fundie said...

Yeah, there is a lot of wacky stuff in the Charismatic movement.

UKSteve said...

So, has this changed your opinion of Christian fiction, or are we still struggling against the Left Behind effect?

(Yeah, I thought they were pretty awaful too!)

Celestial Fundie said...

I suppose there are questions about whether fiction is an effective at communicating spiritual truths.

As William Blake said, Milton was of the Devil's party though he did not know it.

The Left Behind books were awful.

My most principle objection to them was not stylistic, as bad as they were, but that I disagree with the Pre-Trib rapture.

I believe the rapture will be Pre-Wrath. Believers will experience the tribulation, but will be raptured out before the wrath of God is poured out on the world.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Palm boy said...

What is it about those three names that amused you?

Celestial Fundie said...

I find it amusing because there is no historical basis for there being three (as opposed to two, five or ten) wise men, let alone three wise men who have the names Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar.

The names of the three wise men tends to come up in Xmas themed trivia quizzes.

God Bless

Matt

UKSteve said...

Did I just hear a self-confessed fundamentalist say 'Xmas'? ;)

Interesting what you say about fiction though - after all, didn't Jesus tell stories? (It's pretty obvious which side of that fence I fall though, I expect.)

Celestial Fundie said...

There is nothing wrong with saying 'Xmas' or Xian.

What makes you think the parables are fictional? They may well have been true stories, though it does not matter that much.

UKSteve said...

Yes, I suppose they could have been true stories. As you say, it doesn't really matter, but I think they show that stories (fictional or otherwise) can be effective at communicating spiritual truths if done well.