Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Triffids


The Triffids have got to be the creepiest sci-fi monsters ever.

I am not sure if I can think of anything creepier than a Triffid- they shuffle about, their origin is mysterious and they are as ordinary as big sunflowers.

Most horrible of all, after killing their victims, they wait for their bodies to decompose before consuming them. If they had big mouths to gobble people, they would seem like just another unbelievable sci-fi monster, but the fact they only eat decomposing flesh somehow makes them seem more realistic and frightening.

I read The Day of the Triffids when I was about nine years old. As a result I have a very vivid image in my mind of the creatures. Scary to think about.

2 comments:

Another Voice said...

What made you think of them this day, after all these years?

Missy

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I mentioned another one of John Wyndham's books on my blog 'Tales of Cosmic Chaos.'