Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Can I be an homemaker?

A couple of weeks ago I was thinking of how much I enjoy my job working as a part-time administrator for a drug rehab clinic. I really love it there. At some point I am going to have to give it up to move on in my career.

Working as a part-time administrator is really a job for an housewife who wants to earn some extra money for buying clothes and shoes. It suddenly occurred to be that I quite like the idea of being an househusband.

I could do all the future Mrs. C's cooking and cleaning and make her home perfect. And if we had children and wanted to homeschool, I think I would make a pretty good teacher.

I am sure some conservative Christians would not approve of this arrangement, holding that women should stay at home and men should work. I do think they would find it hard to objectively prove that is a biblically mandated principle.

Of course, a man's status tends to be judged by his career. I doubt I would get much respect for being a male homemaker. I cannot help noticing that often the most prominent men in churches are those who are very succesful in their careers.

Maybe this would work, maybe it would'nt.

I just need to find a girl with a high-salaried executive job.

8 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

You are very astute, Matthew. Tragically, the church often uses the world's criteria when appointing officers - so if you are on a six figure salary, a successful businessman or professional, you may be asked to be a deacon or elder. Utterly wrong.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks, Jonathan. Yes, it is dreadful.

GOODNIGHTSAFEHOME said...

I just need to find a girl with a high-salaried executive job.

It wasn't that long ago you expressed your admiration for the "quite attractive" German chancellor:

http://dyspraxicfundamentalist.blogspot.com/2007/06/angela-merkel.html

You can't get a higher executive job.

P/s I am in good form today. Ireland has just told the EU where to get off re: the Lisbon Treaty. I had the wonderful privilefe of voting "No" to the bully boys both of Europe and Ireland

:0)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Colin, do want to marry every lady you think looks attractive?

I think a lot of the older married ladies I know look very attractive.

I totally reject the idea that women don't age well.

I suspect if I were to marry a German politician, she might expect me to learn German. I think it is a lovely language, but despite my efforts I am simply not gifted in the linguistics department.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Anonymous said...

goodnightsafehome,

the income of the german chancellor isn't that high as you might think. People who really want to earn money will enter the businessworld. Look at our former chancellor, who's now in the big oil business with russia.

Matthew,

you should reconsider the thought about a german wife. Not every german girl will have you to learn german. The majority of us speaks your language :) In my schooltime we started in the 5th grade, now they start in the fourth grade to learn it and there are more and more kindergarten, were you have french- or englishtraining for preschoolers. Germany has a threeway schoolsystem. When one enters the 5th grade, you have to choose where to go (Hauptschule, Realschule, Gymnasium). In every type of school you have to learn the english language. In the Realschule you have to learn english and french, in the Gymnaisium to have to learn english and french and/or latin and there it's also possible to learn spanish and/or russian.
So if you are looking for a german wife with a B.A., M.A. or a higher degree, you surely will find someone who speaks your language.
The majority will have no problems to have a conversation, writing it is another story, because we (like me) are not that used to.
And if all of this does not convince you, than please think about the fact, that no other county has so many different sorts of beer as Germany .... and no one needs to speak german to enjoy them :-)

Greetings from Germany [and: no, I get no money from the ministry of tourism ;-)]

God bless you all, thoose from Ireland a little bit moore (Darby would be proud of you ;-) ),

MAE

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Mae, thanks so much for commenting.

Very good point. A lot of Germans remove their shoes at the door too, I believe.

Maybe I should keep my out for any German bussinesswomen who pass by Worcester.

God Bless

Matthew

GOODNIGHTSAFEHOME said...

Ahem! You're going to have to mention your "Free Grace" views sooner or later, Matthew.

:o)

Regards,

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

What does that have to do with anything?