Saturday, March 01, 2008

Nostromo by SleepResearch_Facility


I just listened to an amazing record, Nostromo by SleepResearch_Facility.

This music is ambient. It is on the extreme experimental side of ambient, however. There is absolutely no rhythm or melody in it, just noise.

The music is inspired by the film Alien. At the start of this film, the spaceship Nostromo is drifting through space with the crew in deep sleep. The spaceship is quiet, but not silent, for we hear the sounds of machinery keeping it in motion and keeping the crew alive.

This album is made up of dronings, bleepings and humming. It creates the atmosphere of a computer-controlled electronic environment. It is highly relaxing music, but also quite thought-provoking.

8 comments:

Rose~ said...

Wow, that sounds really different. :~)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Yeah, it is. Thanks for commenting.

David Wyatt said...

Hey bro. Matthew! I am shoeless!

Now that I have that said, may I also say, in all honesty as nicely as I know how, that this music doesn't sound all that relaxing to me!!

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I take it you have not listened to it?

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

It is relaxing because it is quiet and monontonous. The idea is that you could go to sleep while listening to it.

It is not more obtrusive than some of the ambient noises that you hear in your house from the electrics, plumbing and central heating.

God Bless

Matthew

UKSteve said...

I actually like ambient music for precisely that reason. If I'm working it's something unobtrusive to have going on in the background, covering up the heating or next door's lawnmower!

Usually I listen to Brian Eno, but I might have to track this one down next time I'm writing a science-fiction story.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

With your being a science fiction fan, I think you would really enjoy this album.

David Wyatt said...

You are right bro. Matthew, I have not. BUt as you describe it further, it sounds a little better, maybe! Thanks & God Bless.