Thursday, February 21, 2008

YouTube: Where Do You Go To My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt

YouTube: Where Do You Go To My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt

This is such a sweet song. It is kind of iconic too. It was a freak no.1 hit in 1969 (though it only reached 61 in the US charts).

I think this song kind of says something about the love-hate relationship that we British love-hate relationship with France. We love French things, but we despair of the French.

It is commonly believed that this song is about Sophia Loren and the lyrics support that notion. However, Peter Sarstedt denied this.

I love European kultur!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised to see this on your blog, having read about your taste in music. I remember this well - it was at no 1 in UK for 6 weeks and John Peel said it was his worst ever record! I can't see how it can be about Sophia Loren. It tells me how much Britain has changed since the late 60's. Dave

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts, Dave.

GOODNIGHTSAFEHOME said...

Does anyone like the French?

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

We should try hard to appreciate them.

Antonio said...

Matthew,

your answer to Colin made me hysterically laugh

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Maybe I was serious?