Friday, February 15, 2008

Some pictures by Adolphe William Bouguereau (1825-1905)


Song of the angels (centre)

Homer and his guide(Left)

Innocence (right)

Charity(left)


Annunciation (right)

Soul being carried to heaven (centre)

Rest (left)

Art and literature (right)

Rest at harvest (above)

Return from harvest (left)
























The young shepherdess (right)

Madonna and angels (above)

Bouguereau's pictures are so life-like. However, despite their phot-realistic style, they are completely lacking in social realism. They are ultraconservative idealizations. There is not the slightest suggestion in Bouguereau's pictures that his peasents are at all unhappy with their lot in life.

I guess my conservatism comes out in my liking for this kind of stuff. I really dislike art that has left-wing political connotations. I prefer art that points to ideals of beauty and just ignores real life.

No comments: