Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ghetto Blasters

Does anybody remember Ghetto Blasters?

I am old enough to remember the age of the ghetto blaster (Boom Boxes to the more politically correct).

I think it is impossible to think about ghetto blasters without smiling, if not laughing. In the age of the IPod, when an entire CD collection can be loaded onto a device barely more than an inch long, the thought of somebody lugging an enormous personal stereo on their shoulder just seems hilarious.

I think the new technology has been a loss in some ways. Carrying a heavy ghetto blaster on your shoulder meant having a real dedication to music. Those things were heavy.

The new technology also makes it harder to rebel throuh music. You do get people listening to IPods at a high volume, but that is nothing like pumping out the grooves on a massive stereo to every passer-by. To carry a ghetto blaster showed that you lived on another plane of existence, unbound by the conventions of polite society.

I suppose in today's Britain a person carrying about a ghetto blaster would be given an ASBO (anti-social behaviour order).

4 comments:

Jim said...

Funny, I did own ones of those contraptions when I was 13. It was very cool for a couple of years.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Did it do any damage to your ears?

David Wyatt said...

Hahahahahaha!! I remember those aws well. Some of them sounded really good, almost like home stereo systems! I never owned one, though. God Bless bro. Matthew.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks, David.