Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Henry Morris v William Blake on Job



I recently read the late Henry Morris' book The Remarkable Record of Job. It had some good things to say, but I was uncomfortable with some of it.

Henry Morris made the rather questionable assumption that Job's wife left him. Some readers may recall that I posted on this a while back.

Henry Morris bases this idea on Job's disagreement with his wife in chapter 2, where Job's wife tempts him to curse God and is rebuked by him. However, if she left him then, it makes no sense that in 19:17, Job says that his wife will not approach him because of his foul breath. If Job's wife is no longer with him, it should be pointless to say that she will not come near him.


Job's wife did not argue with him as the comforters did, which suggests that Job's rebuke lead to her repenting of her folly. In any case the reference to her in chapter 19 strongly indicates that she remained with him. Without any evidence of her departing from him, it seems reasonable to conclude that she was the mother of Job's ten new children.

William Blake, as you can see from these images, evidently disagreed with Morris. In nearly all of his illustrations of the Book of Job, he included Job 's wife, making her a full participant in his trial and eventual restoration.

7 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

Yes folks, buy all-new JOB brand breath mints today. Guaranteed to keep your wife near and dear...

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

That is funny.

Yes, Job says his wife is a stranger to him because of his breath.

He also says in the previous verse that those living his house are strangers to him (19:15).

So her estrangement did not extend to her leaving him.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

By the way , Jonathan.

Have you read Henry Morris book on Job?

Do you agree with the Met Tab review that says he messes up in identifying Elihu as a villain?

codepoke said...

[The sound of gears grinding in my head.]

Interesting. My ex said stuff like that to me as she was leaving, so it's hard for me to hear that Mrs Job didn't just find greener pastures. Still, it's a plausible argument. And I tend to believe 'most all the people mentioned in the gospels are mentioned because they were eventually saved and known to the churches.

It's a difficult shift, but I believe you've convinced me.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Codepoke, thanks a lot for visiting.

I am so sorry to hear that your wife left you.

I was engaged a few years ago, but we split up. It still hurts a bit now. I am sure it would have hurt even more if we had married and then split.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Jonathan Hunt said...

No, I haven't read his book on Job so I can't comment on PM's 'cautionary note'. He was a great man of God (and down to earth too, I had a meal with him once) but on some things he was pretty dogmatic when there wasn't much evidence (I don't mean creation, but other speculations).

I'd just say I agree with the majority of what he wrote and said. Of course, we differ on his premillenialism among other things.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Eating with Henry Morris? Impressive.

I must admit I think there is a little too much dogmatism in the creation science movement.

Henry Morris was not the most reliable commentator. Though, unlike most people, I found his view of Melchizedek being a theophany rather persuasive. I have never read anybody else who takes that view, but Henry Morris makes a great case for it.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew