Monday, January 07, 2008

American Country Music

by Antonio

When I was a child growing up into adolescence I was a rock-n-roller. I wanted nothing to do with rap or country or anything else. We made fun of anyone who liked anything else other than rock.

As I have grown up, my musical tastes have expanded. On thursdays at my work it is country day. I used to hate it. But after 4 years of listening to it, I have learned to love it. I recently found this song and this version of it that I really love. It is innocent and fun at the same time. Well, here it is. Kellie Pickler, Red High Heels.

5 comments:

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Wow, I am glad one of you managed to find something to say here.

Country music is not at all popular in this country. Liking Country music makes one rather odd in Britain.

God Bless

Matthew

Palm boy said...

I'm from Texas, and even I don't pretend to enjoy country.
Still, its just as big as NASCAR down here, so I live with it.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I suppose the nearest equivalent to Country music in the UK would be English folk music, but that is a minority interest. For people with beards who enjoy real ale.

God Bless

Matt

Antonio said...

There is a strange dichotomy in American Country music. There are two basic mold that the songs can fit in. There are songs about partying and songs about life, that can include many references to God.

Of course they will not all fit so easily in one of those groups, but they will.

On a side note, my wife still has an aversion to country music, revealing her lack of maturity ;)

She can't believe that I am liking it. The stuff grows on you!

Antonio

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I think Country music may be harder for British people to appreciate. Although Country music has some roots in English folk music (though too a greater extent Irish), it is very entrenced in American culture.

I dont think Country music has much cultural resonance with British people, hence its lack of popularity here.

God Bless

Matthew