Friday, September 28, 2007

I don't like Handel's Messiah

I think I am one of the few Evangelicals to enjoy Classical music while thoroughly disliking Handel's Messiah.

It is just too loud, brash and jolly. It is the Baroque equivalent of 'I will enter his gates with thanksgiving in my heart (except with more lyrics).'

I like sacred choral music that has some solemnity and mystery in it. Give me Tallis, Palestrian, John Taverner or even some Gregorian chant, but not Handel's Messiah, please.

4 comments:

Rose~ said...

Oh dear.
Are you sure you're Christian?
(just kidding - sorry for the sarcasm, but it is meant in the lightest of moods)

I don't know if we can be frineds anymore.
(see? I just can't help myself)

:~)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Funny

Antonio said...

Heathen!

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I suppose so.